Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Whoops.  20 days does not seem like a long time, but like anything else, one actually has to DO the 20 days to make it happen.  And, in my case...one must actually look at a calendar every once in a while.

I really want to The Plan.  I want to commit to it wholly.  But...(and you knew there was a "but" coming!) I did not think about the time commitment.  Lyn-Genet encourages us to do the 20 days when we do not have other major commitments or events.  Sounds doable - it is, afterall, only three weeks.  But I am the mother of a 10 month old and a 4 year old.  My whole life is about events and commitments.  I am way busier now than when I held a professional paid position 40-50 hours a week. 

I realized today that I was supposed to start the plan today in order to be finished before my 15th wedding anniversary.  And my mother is coming to visit for a month and I had planned to take her to some lunches out.  And we are traveling to our family friends for my daughter Christening and birthday - all in the next 5 weeks. 

So, if I don't start NOW, I have to wait 6 weeks?  NO WAY. 

I bundled the kids up and rushed out to our local Whole Foods, while my husband pulled up the shopping list on line and read it to me over the phone.  More than an hour and $200 later, I lugged my weight in vegetables and seeds and probiotics home.  Yeah...over $200.  Ok, $50 was probiotics - I am battling a systemic yeast overgrowth and I am still breastfeeding, so I went for the good stuff.  And there were a couple of containers of yogurt for my kids and a chocolate muffin in there.  But buying all the stuff upfront and at once is not cheap.  I almost balked at the expense (I also bought a lot of items organic, but that was my choice...don't blame that one on The Plan!) but then I thought about how good it could feel to not ache.  To not be bloated.  Have reflux.  To not be in a slump from fatigue or depression.  Migraines.  Itchy skin.  And really...to lose some weight.  That $200 is NOTHING compared to what I have to gain. 

So, now I am in a flurry to finish reading the book and prep my flax granola for tomorrow and start hydrating.  It is 6:30 pm and I just scarfed an Arby's roast beef sandwich.  We actually normally eat pretty "healthy" around here.  And as a vegetarian-at-heart, eating that sandwich left me queasy.  But it was easy for my husband (who, by the way, does more than his fair share around the house) to grab while I am sitting with our baby who is just now napping (because the Whole Foods trip coincided with nap time!)

Off to finish reading the book and start cookin'!

And the lesson of this blog post is....read the book and get your act together long before you think you are ready to the plan.  The devil is in the details.  Let's hope it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment